Varner Town

The South Carolina Board of Education established a state-funded Indian school for the Varner Town Indian Community in 1938. This one-room school was closed by the state in 1963, forcing integration by its pupils into the public school system.

Before the Varner Town Indian School was established, many of the children attended other Indian schools such as the Summerville Indian School, also called St Barnabas Mission or The Red School, and when some of the family members moved to the Ten Mile Hill area of North Charleston in the early 1940s, the Pine View Indian School was also established for them.

Varner Town Indian Community